Vollerslev church near Køge
Vollerslev Church stands on a slight elevation in Vollerslev village.
The church is a long house comprising a Romanesque nave from the 12th or 13th century, a Late Gothic choir and two Gothic additions: tower and porch.
The Romanesque part of the church is built in large red medieval bricks, as are the tower and the porch that were probably added in the late 15th century, whereas the Gothic long house choir from the early 16th century is bond constructed in red medieval brick and chalk ashlar masonry.
Except for the east gable end, the church appears today whitewashed with a red tiled roof.
The altarpiece of Vollerslev Church includes parts from various periods, as is the case with the four evangelist statuettes on the cornices from 1597 that were donated to the church by Christopher Rosengaard of Herlufstrup and his two sisters, Tale and Margrethe.
The large painting on the altarpiece, depicting the shepherds’ adoration, is considerably younger, being from the 19th century and painted by Th. Wegener, above it is seen a slightly older and smaller painting (from the 18th century), depicting ”The Ascension”.
The pulpit of Vollerslev Church dates from 1613, it is a "Tryggevælde type" of pulpit, on its corners are vivacious figures of the evangelists, with the exception of St. John. As the entire church, the pulpit appears today beautifully painted.
The baptismal font is quite unsusal for this region, made of Gotland limestone, of a quadrangular form and probably dating from the time when the church was originally built. The pewter basin is also quadrangular with a Latin engraving on the edge to the effect that it was acquired in 1619 at the time of King Christian IV.
The church has a wonderful modern organ with 14 stops, built by Gunnar Husted.
Last updated byVisitKøge email@example.com
- Village church
CoordinatesLongitude : 12.006488399
Latitude : 55.4213898