Buildings around the Square in Ringkøbing

Foto: Destination Ringkøbing Fjord
Attractions
Buildings and townscapes
Indirizzo

Torvet 22

6950 Ringkøbing

Contact

Hotel Ringkjøbing built app. 1600. The oldest house in town, except from the church. Originally completely with timber frame, but the gable end and lower floor was converted into foundationwall in app. 1760. Was the town´s largest merchant´s house with a section of buildings in Vestergade. Throughout the entire 16 th century and until 1805 was owned by successive district revenue officers, who had large granaries in the courtyard. The northern half of the courtyard sold off in 1806. Hotel from 1833 and since setting for many parties and events in town.

The old Mayors Court, 1817. Adjoining properly to the hotel. Built by merchant J.C. Juulsgaard. Big stone-built building in French Empire, unusual for Ringkøbing. Called Mayors Court because a number of recorders and mayors have lived here through time.

Ringkjøbing Landbobank, 1924. Designed by Kr. Jensen, who here has abandoned the Plesner-style in favour of neoclassicism, which appeared in the 1920s.

Priorgården, 1913. Business property for a castings exhibition, designed by Plesner for merchant Niels Birkedal, who also owned the Mayors Court. Through the years it has served many changing purposes. Her you find the Tourist Information.

The Town Hall, 1849. Have had at leat three predecessors at the same place. Built with rooms for the Town Counsil and for the Country Counsil - established in 1841 - plus the court house and prison for the Ulfborg-Hind districts. Until 1918 there were prison cells on the lower floor and a small prison courtyard at the back. 

Ringkøbing Bank, 1857. Built as a business property with living-quarters on the first floor, by draper Chr. Christensen, one of the magnates in town. The Bank moved in 1920 and has gradually taken over the entire building. The facade has been changed many times and has had fine pilaster strips and cornices.

The south side. Low-rise of the houses with shops. The gable, with year 1796, is the remainder of a large farm built round a quadrangle on the corner of Grønnegade/Algade. In the gable to V. Strandgade you find bricks with the year 1810. The house was built by priest J.N. Tilemann and was in a number of years thereafter vicarage.

Indirizzo

Torvet 22

6950 Ringkøbing

Updated by:
Destination Vesterhavet, Hvide Sande