Tikøb church, of which the oldest parts date from ca. 1175, was built by Bishop Absalon and by monks from the nearby monastery Esrum.
The church is one of the best and earliest brick buildings in Denmark. According to legend, the church was built on 3 old offering hills, and findings of post holes suggest that the current church may have replaced an older wooden building. The church was converted into a Gothic church in the 1400s, when the church got vaults and presumably the tower of glazed medieval bricks.
Tikøb Church is the parish church for an area stretching from Kvistgård in the south and to Horserød in the north and from Nygaard in the east to Plejelt in the west.