Gavlhuset - Tønder
The gable house is Tønder's oldest town house. It is believed to have been erected for the town's calendar fraternity in approx. 1520, but the building style points more in the direction of approx. 1560. It is built in a mixture of late Gothic and early Renaissance style, and has not changed significantly since its construction.
In 1778, the building was taken over by baker and elder for the bakery Momme Detlef Jensen. He set up a bakery, patisserie and a dispensary in the building. In 1837, the bakery was taken over by Martin Petersen, and he and his family ran the bakery and Klostercafé until 1985.
In 1925, the building underwent a restoration, and then the old original gable mixtures were exposed and a new bay window was erected. Another restoration by H.H. Engqvist took place in 1949.
Today, the building is set up as a café.