During the village period, Thisted Church was located on a hill west of the village and was a Romanesque block stone church from approx. year 1200.
In the 16th century, the church was demolished. and a new one was built. This time a late Gothic church, which is now located in the center of Thisted.
In the chancel is a fine "Madonna and Child" statue by Johan Galster, a motif that is repeated in the town arms.